As the world transitions to a low-carbon economy and recognizes the realities of climate change, there is an increasing need to develop pathways to green growth and climate resilience. Forests have a critical role to play in supporting these paths and sustainable development strategies around the world.
Indufor acknowledges the cross-cutting nature of climate change and takes it into account in all its services areas to both public and private sector clients.
We assist public sector clients in the following areas:
- Thematic studies, e.g. assisting to define and establish zero-deforestation supply chains
- Strategic analyses, e.g. assessment and definition of sustainable forest management frameworks
- Implementing large programs to address drivers of deforestation, e.g. Forest Investment Program (FIP) projects
- Developing Reference Levels and Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems at the national level and sub-national levels
- Developing policies and improving governance, e.g. REDD readiness and Results-based-Payments pilots.
We also assist corporate and investor clients with the following services:
- Natural Capital Accounting
- Incorporating climate change impacts in investment and portfolio analysis and decision-making processes
- Conducting due diligence, e.g. climate change impacts and mitigation measures
- Incorporating climate change parameters in forests output projections
- Managing risks posed to forests by climate change, including catastrophic loss
- Building communication strategies on climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Assisting to improve traceability along the supply chains and procurement policies to ensure sustainable sourcing, e.g. zero-deforestation sourcing
- Monitoring landscapes to help deliver zero-deforestation commitments.
Our project examples include:
- Designing green growth projects for forest-based climate change mitigation using jurisdictional approaches in Indonesia, for the Global Green Growth Institute (2016-17)
- Assessment of forestry and carbon stocks for State Forest Enterprises in Vietnam, for the Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (2016-17)
- Development and assessment of National REDD+ Strategy Options for Guyana, for the Guyana Forestry Commission (2013-14)
- Development of Country Pilots to Test the Natural Capital Program – Africa and Asia (2016-2017). Funded by IFC
- Zimbabwe Climate Change TA Program: Strategic Actions Supporting the Forest Sector (2016-2017). Funded by the World Bank
- Lao PDR National REDD+ Readiness (2016-2017). Funded by FCPF. The project includes a drivers of deforestation study, a land use change study, a Strategic Environmental and Social Assessment (SESA), the development a National REDD+ Strategy, of a benefit sharing system and MRV system. The client is the Government of Lao PDR.