Corporate Sustainability Consultant position
We are seeking a full-time staff Consultant with demonstrated experience in working with the forest industry or broader forest sector, and/or addressing climate change, bioeconomy, and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, committed to our mission, and who enjoys fast-paced collaborative work. They would be comfortable working remotely for extended periods of time, with quarterly in-person meetings in Washington, DC.
Working with Indufor will give you the chance to work on projects that support a growing bioeconomy built on environmentally and socially sustainable landscapes and value chains. You will have the opportunity to grow your own portfolio of sustainability consulting for the private sector, and work with our colleagues and clients around the world. We are a lean and agile company that offers the opportunity to grow and develop personal and professional skills within a collaborative team and inclusive organizational culture.
You will be responsible for providing consulting services for companies and investors focused on strengthening sustainability in their operations, supply chains, and investments, including:
- Assessments/due diligence: environmental and social due diligence and monitoring, supplier risk assessments, climate risk assessments, carbon footprints, product/corporate footprints, life cycle assessments
- Development of strategy, policy, and processes: development of environmental and social management systems, sustainability strategies, sustainable sourcing policies (e.g., deforestation-free), certification roadmaps
- Incubation of projects and business models: advising on and development of low-emissions / nature-positive business models, public-private partnerships, forest carbon offset projects
- Other qualitative and quantitative analysis related to sustainability, natural resource management, governance, and policy, e.g., supporting cross-cutting work on program evaluations involving private sector sustainability
You will also be responsible for the following tasks:
- Preparing project proposals, budgets, and work plans
- Supervising sub-consultants
- Working collaboratively with and managing clients
- Contributing to the public profile and brand of Indufor North America, which could include delivering public presentations and drafting communications materials such as LinkedIn posts or blogs
- Strategy development to grow the company and the broader Indufor group
You will have the opportunity to:
- Conduct research and analysis advancing a sustainable bioeconomy (e.g., advising on strategy or new investments in North America and abroad)
- Contribute to program or project design, early-implementation support and/or evaluations related to sustainable supply chains, climate, and forest landscapes
- Provide data analysis for analytical reports, workshop design and facilitation, proposal writing
- Project management
- Networking and conference participation/speaking
About Indufor North America
Indufor North America is a management consulting firm and trusted partner to leading public, nonprofit, and private clients advancing an environmentally and socially sustainable bioeconomy. We serve clients in the forest industry, conservation, impact investment and international development sectors. Our mission is to provide insights and experience to clients, upholding the values of sustainable forests, landscapes, and communities.
We provide services along three core business lines:
- Supporting enhanced decision-making
- Facilitating strategic change
- Monitoring and evaluating progress
Indufor North America is part of the Indufor Group, which has over 40 years’ experience providing substantive, high-quality consulting services to the forest products industry, investment and donor communities, government, and non-profit organizations. Our offices in Finland, New Zealand, Australia, and the United States work together to generate positive impacts for our clients, the environment, and project stakeholders.
- Graduate degree in environmental studies, economics, sustainable business, forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, international relations/development, with five years’ work experience or a relevant undergraduate degree with seven years’ work experience
- Track record of work in forestry, agriculture, conservation, natural resource management, climate change, ESG, or sustainable investment in the bioeconomy
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; experience with financial modeling, carbon footprinting and/or life cycle assessments (LCA) preferred
- Ability to quickly analyze problems and develop and adapt frameworks to solve them
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish effective relationships with clients and colleagues around the world
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Self-motivation and ability to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to meet project deadlines and communicate progress to supervisors in a timely manner
- Desire to work with a small entrepreneurial team, and work independently with the awareness and judgment to seek help when needed
- Good command of Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of at least one other language, preferably Spanish
- Interest in cultivating company presence through new strategy and business development in North America
- Willingness to travel internationally
- Work or study experience in low/middle-income countries preferred
We offer a competitive salary with possibilities for bonuses, generous paid time off, medical and dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Indufor is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You must be authorized to work in the United States.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a résumé and one analytical writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Consultant, Corporate Sustainability Candidates 2022.”